Friday, October 27, 2023

“Sorry for Your Loss” and “Facing the Maudlin and Morose”

 

Donna Ashworth -
Her poem appears below.
“Facing the Maudlin and Morose” – Wm. Darius Myers

 

Mortality makes me morose.

 

A steady diet of dying and bereavement,

my own,

and not just that of patients’ families

whose deeper losses fail to make mine less painful,

renders me “sullen and ill-tempered,”

            as Oxford identifies “morose” as meaning.

 

And so I provoke those around me,

too often for most,

to join in my maudlin mood—

that state in which

a clear understanding of mortality

leads to self-pity,

sentimentality,

and a significantly regretful nostalgia

for the days in which I could still act

as though I believed

everything would last forever.

 

But,

I know now,

very few things last forever.

 

And yet,

there are,

            of course,

some things that do last forever.

 

Thankfully, though,

the maudlin and the morose

are not among them.

 

 --------------------

All of which brings me to consider Donna Ashworth’s poem,

“Sorry for Your Loss.”

 

When I say sorry for your loss

it may sound perfunctory

trite even

 

but what I mean is

 

I am sorry

that you wake in the night

gasping for breath

heart racing in agony

 

I am sorry

that you will know a lifetime

of what ifs and

could have beens.

 

I am sorry

that you ache

for one more minute with your love

knowing it can never be.

 

When I say sorry for your loss

please know

my soul is reaching out to yours

in understanding

and trying very hard

to take away

just one little ounce of your pain.

 

 ------------------------


Our hospice agency has a bereavement coordinator. She provides services to families after the death of the patient, helping them to experience their grief authentically, and pursue their mourning effectively.

 

But each of us on the care team (nurses, aides, social workers, volunteers, office and support staff, and chaplains and counselors) all face the daily challenge of providing services to both patients and families who are already experiencing losses. Can we help them to experience their grief authentically, and pursue their mourning effectively, even before the death of the patient? Probably so. And in doing so, perhaps they would see that we are “trying very hard to take away just one little ounce of your pain.”

 

Maybe that would become clearer if we were to say, to the patient, as well as to the family: “Sorry for Your Loss.”

 

 

 

 

Donna Ashworth’s book, Loss: Poems to better weather the many waves of grief, is available here: https://www.amazon.com/Loss-Poems-better-weather-waves/dp/1785304429/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1SHNES3SURQKP&keywords=loss&qid=1698425033&sprefix=loss%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-3

No comments:

Why McDonald's Succeeds Where Church Fails

An old friend recently shared this meme. We agree on so much, it’s hard to say, “Au contraire, mon frere.” ("Exactly the opposite, my b...